Saturday, October 18, 2008

Holy Dome, Batman!


I love my siblings dearly, let's just make that very clear right here from the get-go. And like any healthy familial relationship, there's bound to be a little bit of sibling rivalry. Seems like in the past year our brotherly/sisterly battles have included extensive remodels on the properties we each own. We coincidentally leveled the playing field by each hiring a contractor by the name of Brian. From that point on, that's just about the only thing we've had in common. You would think that Dug's complete remodel of a Vietnamese restaurant into a popular bistro that serves up tasty pacific northwest cuisine to happy customers (http://www.agatealley.com/) is the hands-down winner of this "all in good fun" competition. However, last weekend my younger sister, Sarah, may have just taken the prize when she and a dozen of her friends and family erected a geodesic dome that, when done, will rival the living space in my 1,200 square ft. humble abode.


It could not have been a better weekend weather-wise and with "all hands on deck", literally, things went together pretty smoothly.







D
A
D















I missed the first day's events so only took part in the heave-ho! aspects of getting the roof on. In actuality, I did a lot of holding, tugging, and looking-up.





The plan now is to finish the insides with a loft, bedrooms, running water, electricity, and a wood stove. With the work she's already had done on her home, and now this new living space, we all know we've got a place to go when this economy really starts to crumble. It's a visual dichotomy to be sure. I'm so proud of my sister and how she's continued to create the kind of space that she wants for herself on her property. The horses, goats, chickens, dogs, and barn cats only add to the appeal. No wonder
Waldo never wants to come home!























2 comments:

Craig Carney said...

Very inspiring! I dream of someday owning an earth friendly home. If they still need help building the dome, I could offer a day or two! I would love to here their story and learn by doing.

Thanks for posting,
Craig Carney

Craig Carney said...

I meant "hear".