Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Deadliest Catch






An unexpected turn of events kept me here in Soldotna for an extra day, a great opportunity to try my hand at fishing from the shoreline.  After a morning of learning the finer techniques in fish fillet while nibbling on the bits and pieces of leftovers from Jenna's monster catch, headed back to the Kenai river for what I hoped to be my first catch.  Actually, I didn't really mind if I caught something, just wanted to be back out in it.

Annie gave me a quick lesson, drove me out to a spot where she had some success earlier in the week, and I proceeded to spend the better part of a day in thigh-high water.  My fishing buddies for a good chunk of it were Peggy and Trevor, and was that ever a stroke of luck for me.  Trevor,a local who is about the age of folks I get the privilege to be around for 9 months of the year, knows what he's doing on the water and he taught me a thing or two about casting, that is for sure.  Peggy, his grandmother, was just a whole lot of fun to visit with...and to see her land that red within the first 15 minutes she was in the water let me know I was in good company all around!

Mid-day, Annie showed up and we fished out the rest of the day with a family from LA area and a few others from here and there .  No fish were running for anyone, but lots of good laughing and chatting in a steady rain.   It was decided our attire gave a whole new meaning to the term, "The Deadliest Catch".

Just finished enjoying just a bit of Jenna's salmon, prepared 5 different ways no less!  Thanks, Tom, for hosting such a fantastic dinner!






No comments: