Thursday, July 17, 2008

More Goodbyes

Despite boosters of copper in various forms, sadly we have lost two more calves; Yeri from Clam Gulch on Tuesday and our little Nome Nugget yesterday afternoon. Both became lame and were euthanized soon thereafter due to what we learned from Bev and Jose's necropsies. To say this is a tragedy is an understatement. My heart goes out to all of the people here who have worked so hard for these animals and, of course, the babies themselves.




These are pictures of Yeri (in yellow collar) and Minnie, our last moose calf. I just fed Minnie her morning milk and walked with her some as she browsed on the aspen, willow, and birch cuttings we have hanging up for her around the pen. She seems to be enjoying the company as she followed me around as I moved about the pen. After breakfast I'll go back down and sit with her and read some. It's rainy here but we have erected a blue tarp to sit under so it's comfortable.

On a brighter note, I'm really in love with this place. It is a beautiful setting and I am getting to explore it through the data we're collecting on some of the cows (more on that later!), by going on daily runs along the dirt roads within the moose pens, taking the canoe out on the lake in the evening, and not taking for granted one moment when I look around me and all I see are trees. I'm so lucky to be here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds like, through the ups and downs, you're still having an amazing, life altering experience. I've loved reading what you've shared so far and I'm excited to hear more about your adventures.

I'm impressed that, despite the tragedy, you all can still have some levity. Your pictures and stories so far have been wonderful.

Ned Hascall said...

Did the necropsies from the other animals give you any indication of what was the source of the calves problems?

It's great to be there with you. thanks for blogging.