Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Homer

After the 7 a.m. feeding yesterday morning, I dropped Jenna off at the Kenai airport as she's flying to Fairbanks to work with a wildlife veterinarian for a few days. I then headed south, down the peninsula, to drop off some things for Tom at the Fish and Game office here in Homer.

As I'm driving, I couldn't help but think for a moment how this drive seemed a bit familiar; with water to my right and forest on my left, little coastal towns dotted along the way, I had a flash that I was back home, driving down the Oregon coastline. It was just about at that moment when I glanced out my right frontwindow and realized that rather than a horizon line one would see along the Oregon coast, there were wonderfully jagged snow-topped mountains. Eyes back on the road, I see a large bird flying low, directly over the road. Bald eagle. Dorothy's not in Kansas anymore!


While delivering the goods to the biologist at the Fish and Game office in Homer, I was given a lead on housing for the night, a bunkhouse made available for people doing temporary work for the wildlife reserve. As luck should have it, there was a room available so I settled in, put in a load of laundry, and then took a run out to the end of the spit.




View from the bunkhouse... ...and on the run.






Check out this website!

http://www.islandsandocean.org/




Poked around in the shops, took in the excitement of charter boats just back with the day's catch, met a very nice shop owner who offered to drop off my purchases back at the bunkhouse so I wouldn't have to run with them, and then had a fantastic run back. Ended my first day off with a bowl of clam chowder and a red from the local brewery.


Thanks, Homer, Alaska.

"A quaint little drinking town with a fishing problem." ~bumpersticker.

1 comment:

Ned Hascall said...

I am assuming the blonde with the barrels is the subject of the last photo.