Tuesday, July 22, 2008

An Epic Tail





Yesterday. Oh, where to begin. Little did I know when I booked my flight for this volunteer stint, I'd be here during the 3 weeks of prime King salmon fishing. Tom, the now former Director of the MRC (off now to spearhead work with Dall sheep), has a drift boat and yesterday he took Annie, Jenna, and me on a 13 mile float down the Kenai River. Mondays are drift boat days so the river was relatively free of power boats (read that, quiet!), other than the palatable buzz of excitement coming from all around us.

Yes, I got one! Well, I hooked one, and it was the epic battle that will surely grow with each recounting, just to get it up to the surface. Unfortunately, the hook landed in its dorsal fin and therefore I couldn't keep it. Tom estimated that it would have been well over 50 lbs.

I got hits two more times in the day and both Jenna and Annie caught one; 40 lbs and 27 1bs, respectively. Tom and Jenna are in his garage filleting it up as I write this, and Jenna has already decided she's not shipping it home so it will be on our dinner table tonight back at the MRC.

We were on the river from 5 p.m. to midnight, mostly backtrolling into various spots that Tom knew well from his years of experience. The day couldn't have been better, for fishing, new friendships, and just for the scenic factor alone. It was a blissfully perfect day. So much so that I think I'm going to try my hand at red fishing off the banks this afternoon. Fish on!

2 comments:

Peggy said...

Hi Susan, we met you on the Kenai River fishing this afternoon. Your blog is great. It will be fun to travel along with your travels via the internet. I hope you caught your red salmon but even if not, as you said, it is wonderful just to be out fishing (and meeting the locals :-) We loved talking to you. "Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the known to the unknown." Glad to meet a fellow adventurer. Enjoy the journey. Trevor and Peggy

Ned Hascall said...

Wow. How big is a 50 lb. fish?

Interesting news form Oregon. The Columbia Sockeye run is the largest by far for 50 years. It looks like the recovery effort is showing some fruit.